On March 11, 2019, the Court entered its Order of Final Approval.
On May 10, 2019, the first round of Settlement checks were mailed to claimants.
What is the Schedule for paying Claimants?
Under the Settlement Agreement, the Court’s Approval Order did not become final until after expiration of the 30-day appeal period. With no appeals filed, the Court’s Approval Order became final as of April 10, 2019.
- The first round of Settlement checks was mailed on May 10, 2019, to Class Members who submitted valid and complete claims.
- A second round of Settlement checks was issued on June 28, 2019.
- Additional checks will be mailed as we complete the audit process and after we receive information required to complete and validate claims.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUBMITTED A CLAIM AND HAVE NOT YET RECEIVED PAYMENT? If you submitted a claim and have not yet received payment, you may send an inquiry to admin@HawaiiHepA.com. In your email, please be sure to include the following information:
- Your Full Name as it appears on your Claim Form;
- Your Mailing Address;
- Your Email Address; and
- Your Phone Number
What is the case about?
If you were exposed to the Hepatitis A virus (“HAV”) as a result of the 2016 Hepatitis A Outbreak linked to consuming food at thirteen Genki Sushi restaurants located on the islands of Oahu, Kauai, and Maui, and as a result you obtained preventative medical treatment, a Class Action Settlement may affect your rights.
A court ordered this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
Read the Detailed Notice of Settlement for complete information.
This Notice explains your rights and options in the proposed settlement of the lawsuits entitled Cuehlo, et al., v. HNK, Inc., et. al., Sato v. Genki Sushi USA, Inc. et al., and Ramos v. Genki Sushi USA, Inc. (consolidated as Civil No. 17-1-HEP (Product Liability), pending in the Circuit Court of the First Circuit, State of Hawai’i . This lawsuit asserts class claims for strict liability and negligence per se to recover damages for physical injury and economic loss arising from obtaining IG immunization shots and HAV vaccinations, in response to an alert by the Hawai’i Department of Health that the Plaintiffs were allegedly exposed to the HAV virus by consuming food from Genki Sushi restaurants, from contact with HAV-infected persons, or from other establishments.
Who Is Included in the Settlement?
The Class includes all persons who:
- as a result of the 2016 Hepatitis A Outbreak infections linked to consuming food at thirteen Genki Sushi restaurants located on the islands of Oahu, Kauai, and Maui, were exposed to the hepatitis A virus (“HAV”) through one of three exposure-mechanisms, but did not become infected, and
- as a result of such exposure, after learning of the requirement of treatment from an announcement of public health officials or a medical professional, obtained preventative medical treatment, such as receiving immune globulin (“IG”), HAV vaccine, or blood test within 14 days of exposure.
What Does the Settlement Provide?
Your award is determined by your Subclass:
- each member of Subclass 1 will be awarded $350,
- each member of Subclass 2 will be awarded $250, and
- each member of Subclass 3 will be awarded $150.
The Aggregate Limit for all claims and payments will not exceed $4,500,000.00 for the entire Class. The Aggregate Limit includes
- payments to each member of the Subclasses,
- compensation to each of the Class Representatives,
- payments to identified insurers in settlement of subrogation liens, and
- Class Counsel’s fees and costs.
How Do You Receive Payment?
If you did not submit a complete and timely Claim Form, you will not be entitled to payment.
When was the Final Hearing?
The Court held a Final Approval Hearing on MARCH 6, 2019, at 8:30 a.m. with the Honorable Judge James H. Ashford at:
Circuit Court of the First Circuit
State of Hawai’i
777 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
The Court entered its Final Judgment approving the Settlement on March 11, 2019.